Bruschetta with Tomato and Basil
- Complexity: very easy
- 1 pound beefsteak or roma tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp. red wine OR balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 large baguette, cut 1/2-inch thick on a bias
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- Flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
- Baby basil leaves, for garnish
In a medium bowl combine the tomatoes with the basil, 2 tbsp. EVOO, vinegar and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Toss together and set aside until needed.
Bring a grill or grill pan up to heat over medium high.
While the grill preheats liberally brush both sides of the sliced bread with EVOO and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill 1-2 minutes per side until crunchy and you see grill marks.
Remove and immediately rub 1 side with the peeled garlic, making sure to get the edges.
Stir the tomato mixture and taste for seasoning then using a slotted spoon, pile each piece of bread with the tomatoes. Finish with a sprinkling of flaked sea salt and more basil leaves.
Recipe Courtesy of Megan Mitchell
Paid Partnership with Bonnie Plants
If using Roma tomatoes, add in 1 cup halved baby mozzarella balls
Top any variety with torn burrata cheese
If using cherry tomatoes, add thinly shaved Parmesan cheese on top
Finish any variety with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar glaze