Creamy Broccolini and Ground Turkey Pasta
- Serves: 6
- Complexity: easy
- 12-ounces gluten-free penne rigate, such as Bio Naturae*
- 1 large bunch broccolini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 7-8 large broccoli leaves*
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey, preferably organic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Red chili flakes, optional
- 1 8-ounce block Clover Sonoma Organic cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup pasta cooking water
- 2 tbsp. minced sage leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
Bring a large stock pot of water up to a boil. Season liberally with salt. Cook the pasta per package directions until al dente. 1 1/2 minutes before the pasta is done, add in the broccolini and leaves. Stir.
While the water boils and the pasta cooks make the sauce.
Bring a large non-stick skillet up to heat over medium. Drizzle the pan with a few tablespoons of EVOO. Add in the ground turkey and break into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until golden brown. Season with salt, pepper and chili flakes if using.
Turn the heat to medium low and add in the cream cheese and 3/4 cup of pasta cooking water. Mix together and taste for seasoning, adding more salt or pepper if needed. Add in the sage, nutmeg and parmesan cheese. Stir.
Once the pasta and broccolini has cooked add directly to the sauce pan and mix thoroughly. If it looks too dry add a little more pasta cooking water, if it’s too loose continue to cook on medium for a few minutes.
To serve place into a shallow bowl and garnish with more parmesan cheese, sage leaves, freshly cracked black pepper and nutmeg.
Recipe Courtesy of Megan Mitchell
*Any short cut pasta, gluten-free or not, will work here
*If you can’t find broccoli leaves, use kale, escarole or any dark leafy green