Turkey, Mushroom and Spinach Pasta
- Complexity: medium
- Olive oil, for coating pan
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground dark meat turkey
- Pinch of red chili flakes, more to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 6-ounce bag baby spinach
- 1 8-ounce tub mascarpone cheese
- 1 pound Zita cut or penne pasta
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
In a large, deep sided skillet sauté the shallots and garlic in a drizzle of olive oil. Cook until fragrant and softened, about 5 minutes. Next add in the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
Push the cooked mushrooms over to one side of the pan and drizzle in a little more olive oil. Add in the ground turkey and break it up into small chunks with the back of a spoon or spatula. Sprinkle with red chili flakes, salt and pepper.
While the turkey is browning, bring a large pot of salted water up to a boil. Once boiling, add in the pasta and cook per package directions until al dente.
Once the meat is fully cooked, mix it together with the cooked mushrooms and add in the spinach, working in batches if it doesn’t all fit in one. Cook the spinach down until wilted, then add in the mascarpone. Stir to combine and taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if needed.
Lastly, add in the cooked pasta, stirring to make sure everything is coated and combined. Add a little cooking liquid if it looks too dry.
Serve family style with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Recipe Courtesy of Megan Mitchell