Spicy Tortellini alla Vodka with Turkey Sausage and Spinach
- Serves: 6
- Complexity: easy
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh cheese tortellini
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausages
- 1 5.3-ounce tube of tomato paste
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
- 5 ounces organic baby spinach
Bring a large stockpot of water up to boil. Season liberally with salt. Cook the pasta per the package directions until al dente.
While the water comes up to a boil make the sauce. Bring a large nonstick skillet up to heat over medium. Drizzle in the EVOO and add in the turkey sausages squeezed from their casings. Break up into small pieces and cook until golden brown.
Next add in the tomato paste. Cook for 2-3 minutes to caramelize then add in the chili flakes and vodka, cook for 1-2 minutes or until most of it has absorbed. Turn the heat to low and add in the heavy cream. Mix together and remove from heat.
Add the spinach directly to the sauce pan followed by the pasta along with 1/2 cup of pasta cooking liquid. Mix together so everything is fully coated. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt or pepper if needed. Remove from heat and stir in the 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese.
To serve spoon some into a shallow bowl and top with more parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of Megan Mitchell