Cacio e Pepe with Roasted Tomatoes
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: medium
- 1 pound small tomatoes on the vine
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound Fusillata Casareccia, or small shaped pasta
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 8-ounce block of Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 1/2 cups pasta cooking liquid
- 1 tbsp. freshly cracked pepper, plus more for sprinkling
Preheat your oven to 400°F.
On a sheet tray place the tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Once the oven is up to temperature, roast the tomatoes for 15-20 minutes or until nicely charred and almost bursting.
Meanwhile, bring a large stock pot of salted water up to a boil. Cook the pasta per package directions until al dente. Save 1 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid before you drain the pasta. Drain pasta and set aside.
In the same pot you cooked the pasta in (now empty), add the butter and pepper and cook until melted. Next add in 1 cup of the pasta water, pasta and grated Parmesan cheese. Cook until the sauce has thickened and is creamy, adding more pasta water if it gets too thick.
Taste for seasoning, adding salt if needed.
Serve immediately with the roasted tomatoes on the side.
Recipe Courtesy of Megan Mitchell