- Serves: 4
- Complexity: medium
- EVOO, for drizzling
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced or grated on a Microplane
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 2 cups cubed eggplant, 1-inch pieces (Italian, Chinese, Indian or baby)
- 3 cups cubed zucchini, 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (heirloom, baby, plum, Roma or grape)
- 12-ounces gluten free penne pasta, or any short cut pasta
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves, finely chopped
Fill a medium sized sauce pot 3/4’s full with water. Liberally season with salt and bring to a boil.
While the water comes to a boil make the sauce. Bring a large skillet up to heat over medium. Drizzle in a few tablespoons of EVOO and add in the garlic and chili flakes. Cook for 1 minute or until lightly golden and fragrant. Next add in the eggplant and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until it starts to brown. Next add in the zucchini and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Once the water is up to a boil add the pasta and cook per package directions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta cooking water.
Once the veggies have softened and turned golden brown, deglaze with vermouth and cook until absorbed. Next add in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until a thick sauce forms then turn the heat to low.
Add the cooked pasta to the veggie pan along with the parmesan cheese and basil. Add 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water and mix together. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt or pepper if needed. If the sauce looks too dry add a little more pasta water.
To serve, scoop into a shallow serving dish/bowl and garnish with more parmesan cheese and basil leaves.
Recipe Courtesy of Megan Mitchell