Heirloom Tomato Salad with Basil Oil
- Serves: 6
- Complexity: very easy
- FOR THE BASIL OIL:
- 3 cups packed basil leaves
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 3-4 yellow heirloom tomatoes, halved or quartered, larger ones cut into eighths
- 3-4 red and/or purple heirloom tomatoes, same as above
- 3 cups mixed baby heirloom tomatoes, halved, larger ones quartered
- Flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Opal (purple) basil leaves, for garnish
Begin by making the basil oil. Bring a small sauce pot of water to a boil.
Separately prepare an ice bath. Place 2 cups of water along with 1 cup of ice in a small bowl.
Blanch the basil leaves in the boiling water for 45-60 seconds. Remove and immediately shock in the ice bath. Drain and squeeze out all of the water.
Place the drained basil leaves into a high power blender along with 1/2 cup of the EVOO. Blend on high until smooth and bright green. If you want it thick leave as is, if you want it thinner add the remaining 1/4 cup of oil.
To assemble the salad place the sliced tomatoes on a large platter. Sprinkle with the opal basil leaves and drizzle with some of the oil. Finish with some flaked sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
Recipe Courtesy of Megan Mitchell