Veggie Pasta with Zucchini and Red Kale
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: medium
- 12 ounces gluten-free penne pasta, such as Bio Naturae*
- 2-3 tbsp. ghee
- 1/2 tsp. chili flakes
- 2 medium to large zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 bunch purple kale, torn into 2 inch pieces
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup reserved pasta cooking liquid
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Fill a medium sauce pot 3/4’s full with water. Bring up to a boil and season liberally with salt. Cook the pasta per package directions until al dente.
While the water comes up to a boil cook the veggies. In a large nonstick skillet melt the ghee over medium high heat. Once the ghee has melted and the pan is hot, add in the chili flakes and zucchini. Let sit for a minute or two before tossing so it forms a nice golden crust. Sauté for 5 minutes until golden and softened, then add in the kale and season liberally with salt and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Once the pasta has cooked make sure to reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid before draining.
To the veggie pan add 1/2 cup cooking liquid, followed by the chopped basil and parsley and cooked pasta. Turn the heat to low and mix together. Next add in the parmesan and taste for seasoning, adding more salt or pepper if needed. Cook for 1 minute to let the flavors absorb and the sauce to thicken. If it looks too dry add a little more cooking liquid.
Remove from heat and serve with more parmesan cheese, basil leaves and chili flakes if you want it spicier.
Recipe Courtesy of Megan Mitchell
*any penne pasta will work for this recipe